Oxenden, Great, or Oxendon Magna (St. Helen)
OXENDEN, GREAT, or Oxendon Magna (St. Helen), a parish, in the union of Harborough, hundred of Rothwell, N. division of the county of Northampton, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Harborough; containing 234 inhabitants. The parish is on the Northampton and Harborough road, and comprises 1303a. 2r. 10p., of a rich soil with a subsoil of clay, the whole good grazing-land, with the exception of 52 acres, which are arable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 8. 4.; net income, £410; patron, J. Parker, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land in 1767; on the land is a glebe-house. The church stands about a quarter of a mile from the village, on an eminence from which is an extensive panoramic view, and has a square tower; the chancel is in the decorated style of architecture. At a short distance westward from the church is a remarkable echo, which, however, has been in some degree injured by an alteration in the roof of the south aisle. There is a chapel, used by dissenters of various denominations.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.