Owthorpe (St. Margaret)
OWTHORPE (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union, and S. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 8½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Nottingham; containing 143 inhabitants. This parish is situated to the north-east of the road between Nottingham and Melton-Mowbray, upon the Grantham canal, and on the eastern side of the lofty range of hills called the Wolds. It comprises about 1600 acres of cold clay land, and is principally the property of Sir Robert Howe Bromley, Bart., who is lord of the manor, which his father, Sir George Smith Bromley, purchased in 1773, with 1300 acres of land, from the Hutchinson family, who had owned it for many generations. For some time after the Conquest, the place was held by a family of its own name, and was of the fee of Roger de Busli. The Hall, a large square mansion, has been pulled down by the present proprietor of the estate. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £65; patron and impropriator, Sir R. H. Bromley. The church was built by Colonel Hutchinson, an active parliamentary officer during the civil war, and for some time governor of Nottingham Castle, who died in 1664, and was interred in the family vault here.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.