Overstone (St. Nicholas)
OVERSTONE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Spelhoe, S. division of the county of Northampton, 5 miles (N. E.) from Northampton, on the road to Kettering; containing 242 inhabitants. The parish comprises by estimation 1690 acres, of which 193 are woodland and plantations surrounding the mansion of Overstone, and the greater portion of the remainder arable. One-half of the soil is a fine red loam, and the other half may be divided into white sand and clay of inferior quality. Stone for the roads is obtained, but it is of an indifferent description. The females are employed in making lace. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 16. 3.; net income, £265, with a house; patron, Jones Loyd, Esq. The church, rebuilt in 1800 at the expense of H. Kipling, Esq., is a small edifice with a tower, and has a well-painted east window. The children are instructed at the national school in the neighbouring parish of Moulton.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.