Outwell (St. Clement)
OUTWELL (St. Clement), a parish, in the union of Wisbech, partly in the hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, and partly in the hundred of Clackclose, county of Norfolk, 5½ miles (S. E) from Wishech; containing 1252 inhabitants, of whom 820 are in Norfolk. The parish is situated on the river Nene, and comprises about 2000 acres, belonging to several families. Beaupré Hall, the ancient manor-house, is a handsome mansion in the Elizabethan style. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £16; net income, £417; patron, the Bishop of Ely: the tithes have been commuted for £114, and there is a glebe-house, with 5 acres of land. The church is in the later English style, with a square embattled tower, and an elegant south porch. There are places of worship for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans. The town lands comprise 66½ acres, producing £105 per annum. Molycourt Priory, or the chapel of St. Mary de Bello Loco, which was situated in the parish, was founded before the Conquest, for Benedictine monks; its revenue being considerably diminished, Henry VI. appropriated it to the priory of Ely.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.