DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Oulton (St. Michael)

OULTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the incorporation and hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (W.) from Lowestoft; containing 660 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1900 acres, and is bounded on the west by the river Waveney, which receives the surplus water of Lake Lothing, commonly called Oulton Broad, on the south. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Rev. Geo. Anguish: the tithes have been commuted for £450, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The church originally seems to have been in the form of a Latin cross, but both transepts have been taken down; the steeple stands between the nave and chancel, and the whole building shows it to be of the Norman style: there are some curious ancient brasses in the chancel.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement