Ottringham (St. Wilfrid)
OTTRINGHAM (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union of Patrington, S. division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York, 6¼ miles (S. E. by E.) from Hedon; containing 630 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 4320 acres, including some fertile and well-drained marshes, which extend southward to the Humber, where several drains discharge their waters at Stone creek: the lands are the property of various owners. The village, which is long, is situated on the road between Hedon and Patrington, about three miles north-eastward of the latter place. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £83; patron, Frank Watt, Esq. The church is principally in the decorated style, with a tower surmounted by a spire. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.