Ossington (Holy Rood)
OSSINGTON (Holy Rood), a parish, in the union of Southwell, N. division of the wapentake of Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Tuxford; containing 228 inhabitants. It comprises 2355a. 1r. 3p., about 500 acres of which are woodland, and by far the larger part of the rest arable; the soil is a productive clay. The Hall is a handsome modern mansion, with an extensive park and pleasure-grounds. The living is a donative, in the patronage of J. E. Denison, Esq. The church is a neat structure, and has several beautiful monuments.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.