Old, or Wold (St. Andrew)
OLD, or Wold (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Brixworth, hundred of Orlingbury, N. division of the county of Northampton, 10 miles (N. by E.) from Northampton; containing 497 inhabitants. The road from Northampton to Kettering, and that from Northampton to Harborough, run, the former about two miles on the east, and the latter two miles to the west, of the parish. It comprises 1975a. 3r. 35p.: the surface is undulated; the soil is capable of producing most kinds of grain of good quality, and there is a considerable portion of pasture land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18. 12. 8½.; net income, £355; patrons, the Principal and Fellows of Brasenose College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for 343 acres of land in 1767. The church is a spacious and handsome structure in the later English style. Here is a place of worship for Independents; also a free school with an income from two bequests and an allotment of land at the inclosure. There is likewise a fund of about £50 per annum for the relief of the poor, proceeding from a grant of land made by the Rev. John Townson, in the year 1668.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.