DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Oakmoor, or Oakamoor

OAKMOOR, or Oakamoor an ecclesiastical district, in the parishes of Alveton, Cheadle, and Kingsley, union of Cheadle, S. division of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (E. by N.) from Cheadle; containing about 700 inhabitants. This place is situated in a vale through which the river Churnet flows; the Churnet-Valley portion of the North Staffordshire railway also passes through. The vicinity is well wooded. The works of the Cheadle Copper and Brass Company, which have been established here for a century and a half, employ the greater part of the population: ingots of copper and brass are smelted at these works, and manufactured into bars, sheets, rollers, wire, &c. The church was erected in 1832, at a cost of £1600, raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Church-Building Society; it is in the early English style, with a tower and pinnacles, and contains 770 sittings, of which 304 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector of Cheadle; net income, £56 per annum. There is a good national school.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.

Advertisement

Advertisement