Nympton, King's (St. James)
NYMPTON, KING'S (St. James), a parish, in the union of South Molton, hundred of Witheridge, South Molton and N. divisions of Devon, 3½ miles (N.) from Chumleigh; containing 777 inhabitants. The manor, which was parcel of the ancient demesne of the crown, was granted by King John to Joel de Mayne, by whose rebellion it was again vested in the crown: it was given by Henry III. to Roger le Zouch. In the reign of Edward III. it belonged to Sir Jeffrey Cornwall, whose family continued to possess it in that of Henry V. Sir Lewis Pollard, one of the justices of the common pleas, purchased the manor, built a mansion, and inclosed a park, in the reign of Henry VII. Sir Arthur Northcote, Bart., who died in 1688, purchased King's-Nympton of the Pollards; and James Buller, Esq., who died in 1765, purchased the property of the Northcotes, and built the house now called New Place, or King's-Nympton Park, afterwards the residence of John Buller, Esq., one of the commissioners of excise. The lords of the manor had anciently the power of inflicting capital punishment. The parish comprises 4572 acres, of which 889 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £28. 6. 8.; net income, £376; patrons, the family of Saville. The church has a handsome wooden screen.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.