Basford (St. Leodgarius)
BASFORD (St. Leodgarius), a parish, and the head of a union, in the N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 2½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Nottingham; containing 8688 inhabitants. This parish, which is pleasantly situated in the vale of the river Leen, has a rich sandy soil, and is ornamented around the extensive village of Old Basford with well-wooded scenery, thickly studded with modern mansions. Newly-rising and populous villages, the houses of which are chiefly built of brick and covered with blue slate, have lately sprung up in several parts, the principal of them being New Basford, Carrington on the Mansfield road, Mapperley-place, and Sherwood. New Basford is situated at the southern extremity of the old village, and consists of several good streets which cross each other at right angles, and the principal occupants of which are persons employed in the manufacture of bobbin-net. The parish abounds with numerous springs of soft water; it has been selected as a place well adapted for the bleaching of cotton-hose and lace, and several large factories have been established for the manufacture of those articles. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8. 17. 7., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £260; impropriator, the Duke of Newcastle: the tithes were commuted for land in 1792. The church, which is situated at the southern extremity of the village, was repaired in 1819, when it received an addition of 212 free sittings. A church district named New Basford was formed in 1847 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; patrons, the Crown and the Bishop alternately. At Carrington is a church dedicated to St. John. There are places of worship for Wesleyans, Methodists of the New Connexion, and Baptists. The poor law union of Basford comprises 43 parishes, of which 38 are in the county of Nottingham, and 5 in the county of Derby, and contains a population of 59,634; the workhouse was formerly the house of industry for 32 parishes in the county, and is a modern stone building.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.