Nunney (St. Peter)
NUNNEY (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Frome, E. division of Somerset, 2¾ miles (S. W. by W.) from Frome; containing, with the hamlet of Trudox-Hill, 1185 inhabitants. This place, the name of which has varied with its different proprietors, appears to have derived its permanent appellation from the foundation of a nunnery here, and from its situation on the river Frome. During the civil war, the castle of the De la Meres was garrisoned for the king, but being besieged by the parliamentarians under General Fairfax, was, after an obstinate defence, surrendered to the assailants, and, by order of Fairfax, destroyed by fire. The parish comprises 2800 acres of fertile land, and the scenery is interesting. On the bank of the Frome is a manufactory of agricultural implements and other edged tools, which has been long in distinguished repute. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15. 9. 4½., and in the gift of Thomas Theobald, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £366. 10., and the glebe comprises 58 acres. The church, an ancient structure, was considerably enlarged in 1820: in the north transept are the tombs of the De la Meres, and other proprietors of the manor. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. On a hill in the neighbourhood are vestiges of a single intrenched Roman camp.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.