Norton-Under-Hambdon (St. Mary)
NORTON-UNDER-HAMBDON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Yeovil, hundred of Houndsborough, Berwick, and Coker, W. division of Somerset, 4½ miles (N. N. E.) from Crewkerne; containing 527 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the southwestern side of Hambdon Hill, in a retired and pleasant vale, richly wooded, and comprises 642 acres, of which 74 are common or waste land. The manufacture of sailcloth is carried on to a small extent, and a few of the inhabitants are employed in the glove-trade; stone of good quality for building is quarried. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 16. 3., and in the gift of W. Locke, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £240. The church is a handsome structure in the later English style, with an embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and is supposed to have been built in the reign of Henry VII., whose bust, as also that of his queen, is sculptured in alto-relievo in the north aisle.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.