Norton St. Philip (St. Philip and All Saints)
NORTON ST. PHILIP (St. Philip and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Frome, hundred of Wellow, E. division of Somerset, 6½ miles (S. by E.) from Bath; containing 775 inhabitants, and comprising 1527 acres. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 3., and in the gift of the Bishop of Bath and Wells; the impropriation belongs to Mrs. Day. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £123, and the glebe comprises 4 acres. The church is partly in the later English style, with a very handsome tower. There is a place of worship for Baptists; also a school supported by two endowments, one of £10 per annum, bequeathed by Mr. Coles, and the other of £50, the interest of money given in 1827 by Joseph Neeld, Esq., who, in the same year, built schoolrooms.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.