NORTON-MALEREWARD, a parish, in the union of Clutton, hundred of Chew, E. division of Somerset, 2¼ miles (N. W.) from Pensford; containing 98 inhabitants. It comprises 1053a. 1r. 36p. of land, of which the substratum abounds with stone, quarried for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 2. 6., and in the gift of the Rev. W. P. Wait: the tithes have been commuted for £223, and the glebe comprises 57 acres. The church is an ancient structure, chiefly in the Norman style; the chancel is separated from the nave by a handsome arch of that character. There are some traces of a Roman camp.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.