NORTON-FALGATE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the union of Whitechapel, locally in the Tower division of the hundred of Ossulstone, county of Middlesex; adjoining the ward of Bishopsgate Without in the city of London, and containing 1674 inhabitants. Norton Falgate or Folgate, called also Norton-Folley, derives its name from its situation north of Bishopsgate, and the adjunct to its name probably from the Saxon Foldweg, "a highway," the Roman Ermin-street having passed through the place. It is a precinct exempt from archidiaconal jurisdiction, being subject to the Dean and Chapter of St. Paul's, to whom the manor belongs, and who are stated in Domesday book to have held ten cottages and nine acres of land here in the reign of Edward the Confessor. In Elder-street are almshouses for six members of the Weavers' Company, founded and endowed in 1729 by Nicholas Garrat, Esq.; and adjoining them are others for the poor of Norton-Falgate, erected in the previous year. St. Mary Spital, a priory for canons and brethren of the order of St. Augustine, was founded by William Brune, a citizen of London, in the year 1197: its revenue at the Dissolution was £557. 14. 10.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.