Norton, East (All Saints)
NORTON, EAST (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Billesdon, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles (W. by N.) from Uppingham; containing 137 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated on the road from Leicester to Stamford, comprises 1062a. 1r. 30p. of land, inclosed in the year 1651, and in profitable cultivation; the surface is varied, and the scenery generally pleasing. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Tugby: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £7. 2., and the vicarial for £147. 8.; the glebe comprises 6 acres. The church is ancient. At the inclosure, 12 acres were allotted to the poor, who have also some small bequests.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.