NORTON-CONYERS, a township, in the parish of Wath, wapentake of Allertonshire, N. riding of York, 3½ miles (N. by E.) from Ripon; containing 60 inhabitants. This was the seat of Richard Norton, lord chief justice of England in the early part of the reign of Henry IV.; and subsequently of the gallant royalist, Sir Richard Graham, who, having received numerous wounds in the battle of Marston-Moor, and finding it lost, fled to his house here, and died the same night. The township comprises 985a. 1r. 9p., of which 368 acres are arable, 377 meadow and pasture, 98 woodland, and 115 open common. A rent-charge of £156 has been awarded as a commutation for the tithes.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.