Northorpe (St. John the Baptist)
NORTHORPE (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Corringham, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8 miles (N. E.) from Gainsborough; containing 141 inhabitants. This parish, which was formerly the residence of the Monson family, comprises 1813 acres; the soil is chiefly clay, the surface in some parts elevated and in others flat, and occasionally subject to inundation from the river Ean, a tributary of the Trent. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £4; net income, £100; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Lincoln. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for £418, and the glebe comprises 30 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.