Northolt (St. Mary)
NORTHOLT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Uxbridge, hundred of Elthorne, county of Middlesex, 2¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Harrow; containing, with the hamlet of West-End, 653 inhabitants. This parish, the name of which is supposed to be of Saxon origin, comprises by measurement 2156 acres, whereof 394 are arable, 1717 meadow, and 4 wood. About 100 persons are regularly employed in brick-making, and during the summer the same number in addition. The land springs generally are highly impregnated with iron; and a well at the vicarage-house, containing sulphate of magnesia in considerable quantity, is noticed in old surveys as being of the same class as the springs at Epsom. The village is situated between the Harrow and Uxbridge roads, and is equidistant from the Birmingham railway at Harrow, and the Great Western railway at Southall. The Grand Junction canal intersects the parish. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £15, and in the gift of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £668, and the glebe comprises 44 acres. The architecture of the church is of the latter part of the fourteenth century; Dr. Lisle, Bishop of St. Asaph, and previously vicar of Northolt, is buried in the chancel. Traces of a Roman road are found in the north-western part of the parish.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.