Northington (St. John)
NORTHINGTON (St. John), a parish, in the union of Alresford, hundred of Mitcheldever, Winchester and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 3¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Alresford; containing 286 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 3103 acres; the soil is fertile, and the scenery richly diversified. Grange House, formerly the seat of the earls of Northington, and now the property of Lord Ashburton, is a handsome mansion, built by Inigo Jones; the portico has been altered to the style of that of the temple of Theseus at Athens. The living is annexed, with the livings of Popham and East Stratton, to the vicarage of Mitcheldever. The church was rebuilt in 1830, by Lord Ashburton, at an expense of £1500; it is a neat edifice in the later English style, and contains a monument to the Earl of Northington, lord lieutenant of Ireland in 1783.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.