UK Genealogy Archives logo

Nicholas, St.

NICHOLAS, ST., a parish, in the union of Newton-Abbott, hundred of Wonford, Teignbridge and S. divisions of Devon, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from Newton-Abbott; containing 1175 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the east by the Teign, and lies opposite to Teignmouth, with which it communicates by a bridge over the river; it comprises the pleasant village of Shaldon, and the greater part of the hamlet of Ringmore, and the neighbourhood abounds with diversified scenery. The living is a discharged vicarage; income, £125; patron, Lord Clifford; impropriators, the landowners.

Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.