Newton-Solney (St. Mary)
NEWTON-SOLNEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Burton, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 2¼ miles (N. E.) from Burton; containing 311 inhabitants. The manor was held at an early period, under the earls of Chester, by the ancient equestrian family of Solney, whose coheiress married into the Longford family, of whom the property was purchased by the Leighs, about the reign of Henry VIII. The heiress of the Leighs brought it to the Everys; and about 1795 Abraham Hoskins, Esq., purchased the principal estate. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Trent, and comprises 1401 acres, of rich strong land: on the Earl of Chesterfield's property are 120 acres of wood and plantations. The village is pleasant and well built; and there are several good mansions in the parish. On a commanding eminence is a large castellated building, called Hoskins' Folly. The living is a donative; net income, £20; patron and impropriator, Sir Henry Every, Bart. The church consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a low tower and short spire.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.