Newton-Blossomville (St. Nicholas)
NEWTON-BLOSSOMVILLE (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 3 miles (E.) from Olney; containing 264 inhabitants. It is situated on the river Ouse, and comprises by computation 925 acres, whereof 300 are pasture, 600 arable, and 25 woodland; the soil is various, and the scenery, which partakes of a woodland character, exceedingly beautiful. Some of the inhabitants are employed in making bobbin-lace. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 8. 1½., and in the gift of W. Frederick Farrer, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land in 1810; the glebe altogether comprises 156 acres, valued at £200 per annum. The church consists of a nave, north aisle, and north chancel, with an embattled tower at the west end. A schoolroom was built by the Rev. J. Gould, a former curate, at his sole expense.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.