NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Bywell St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾ miles (E. by N.) from Hexham; containing 127 inhabitants. It is about a mile north-west from Bywell, not far from the river Tyne. Considerable improvements have been made within the present century by repairing roads, and by rebuilding. A limestone-quarry is wrought.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.