Newton (St. Petrock)
NEWTON (St. Petrock), a parish, in the union of Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Black Torrington and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 7½ miles (S. W.) from the town of Great Torrington; containing 261 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1326 acres, of which 300 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 5. 7½.; patron and incumbent, the Rev. F. D. Lempriere: the tithes have been commuted for £151, and the glebe comprises 76 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.