Newton (St. Margaret)
NEWTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Thriplow, county of Cambridge, 6¾ miles (S.) from Cambridge; containing 183 inhabitants. The parish comprises 984 acres, of which 70 are common or waste. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Hauxton. Some tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1798; a tithe rent-charge of £288 is paid to the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and one of £50 to the vicar of Thriplow, who also has a glebe here of 18 acres.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.