NEWSTEAD, an extra-parochial liberty, adjoining the parish of Papplewick, in the union of Basford, N. division of the wapentake of Broxtow and of the county of Nottingham, 5¼ miles (S.) from Mansfield; containing 193 inhabitants. A priory of Black canons, in honour of the Blessed Virgin Mary, was founded here in 1170, by Henry II. At the Dissolution its revenue was valued at £219. 18. 8., and the site was granted to the then lieutenant of Sherwood Forest, Sir John Byron, in whose family the estate continued until it was sold by the late Lord Byron. The present mansion, in which the poet resided for a short period, exhibits considerable remains of the monastic buildings; the cloisters and the west end of the abbey church are in the early English style, and in excellent preservation. These venerable remains are situated on an estate comprising 3226a. 3r. 33p., of which 290 acres are woodland and plantations, with several lakes, covering nearly 67 acres, and forming the source of the river Leen. The park is now divided into farms, except in the immediate vicinity of the house, which is beautifully situated in grounds harmonizing with the antiquated mansion and the monastic remains.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.