NEWPORT, a populous hamlet, in the parish of Bishop's-Tawton, union of Barnstaple, hundred of South Molton, Braunton and N. divisions of Devon, ¼ of a mile (S. by E.) from Barnstaple. This village is beautifully situated near Barnstaple bay, of which, with the bridge of Barnstaple and the river Taw, it commands some pleasing views; it is surrounded by handsome villas and the seats of opulent families. The manufacture of lace is carried on, and a mill has been built, in which about forty persons are employed; there are also a brewery and a foundry. A chapel was erected in 1828 at an expense of £1300, a neat building containing 600 sittings. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £87; patron, the Vicar.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.