Barton (St. David)
BARTON (St. David), a parish, in the union of Langport, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Somerton; containing 455 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises 945a. 31p., is intersected by the roads from Keinton-Mansfield to Butleigh and Baltonsborough respectively, and the river Brue divides the parish from the last named place. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £61; patron, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The tithes have been commuted for £170, and there are 54 acres of glebe, with a house. The church is an ancient edifice, in the churchyard of which is a stone pedestal of St. David, preserved when the church was dedicated. There is a place of worship for Independents.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.