Newchurch (All Saints)
NEWCHURCH (All Saints), a parish, in the liberty of East Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of Southampton, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Newport; containing, with the towns of Ryde and Ventnor (which see), 8370 inhabitants. The parish is the most extensive in the isle, and reaches from Ryde in the northeast to Ventnor in the south. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 6. 8.; net income, £500; patron, the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is a venerable cruciform structure, situated on rising ground, and forms a conspicuous feature in the landscape. There are two incumbencies at Ryde, and a third at Ventnor.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.