NEWCHURCH, a parish, in the division and union of Chepstow, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Chepstow; containing 688 inhabitants, of whom 530 are in the East, and 158 in the West, division. This parish, which is intersected by the new road from Chepstow to Usk, comprises by computation 5434 acres; the surface is a good deal undulated, the soil sandy and loamy, resting on limestone, and the scenery diversified, embracing from the higher grounds exceedingly fine views. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Duke of Beaufort, with a net income of £176: the impropriate tithes have been commuted for £172, and the vicarial for £65; the glebe consists of 52½ acres, with a good parsonage-house, built in 1832. The church is an ancient edifice, situated in West Newchurch; and at Devauden is a neat district chapel for East Newchurch, the living of which is a perpetual curacy with a small endowment, in the patronage of the Vicar. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. About a mile from the church are the remains of a Druids' altar, and at Wentwood are those of Striguel Castle, erected by Strongbow. In 1840, large copper coins of Antoninus, Lucretia, and others, were discovered at Devauden.
Transcribed from A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858.