UK Genealogy Archives logo

Hamstall-Ridware

Hamstall-Ridware.-This is one of three Ridwares, and in the Conqueror's time was in the hundred of Pyrehill, and was held of the Count Roger by "one Walterus." The church, which is an "old spire building," has some painted glass in the windows, and contains some good monuments. One of these is to the memory of John Allestree, a minister of the Church of England for fifty-four years, "during which period," writes. Mr. Nightingale, "he composed 500 sermons, and preached 5000 times." Adjoining to the church is the manor house, an extensive edifice, formerly fitted up in a style of great splendour and magnificence. Near it stands a neat central tower ascended by a staircase, and open at the top, which anciently communicated by a suit of rooms with the other buildings. In this house a curious stone hammer, dug up in the neighbourhood, is preserved, as are likewise a coat of mail, provided by King Charles in the time of the rebellion, and a curious iron cage in which the heads of scolding women were placed to enforce silence. This old manor house is now used as a farm-house. The parish includes the hamlets of Nethertown, Rough-Park, Hay-End, Sandborough, and part of Olive-Green. It contains 2934 acres, 382 inhabitants, 87 houses, and real property valued at £4305. The living is a rectory worth £300, in the patronage of Lord Leigh. There is a national school, and some charities. The church contains monuments to the Cottons, the Combermeres, and the Egertons, and is an ancient and very good building.

Transcribed from Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884