UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bromley Regis

Bromley Regis.-"Bromley," says the Rev. Thomas Harwood, in his notes to Erdeswick, "derives its additional name from its having been the property of the crown for two centuries after the Norman conquest. It had, in earlier times, been distinguished as the residence of the earls of Mercia. Leofric, the fifth earl of Mercia, the husband of the famous Godiva, died here in 1057, at an advanced age, and was buried in the monastery at Coventry, to which he had bequeathed his body, with a great quantity of gold and silver. The abbot of Burton gave two palfreys to have a market and fair here till the king (Henry III.) came to full age. In 1630 Hugh May, Esq., obtained a patent, under the duchy seal, of clerk of the markets within the duchy; upon which Sir Henry Agard, of Foston, county Derby, exhibited an information against Hugh May, showing that he was feodary, escbeator, clerk of the coroner, within the honour of Tutbury; which was allowed. From the Agards this manor passed, by purchase, to John Newton, of the island of Barbadoes." It passed by will into the family of the Lanes, among whom was Colonel John Lane, whose sister bore such a conspicuous and successful part in the preservation of Charles II. after the battle of Worcester. Plot mentions a remarkable case of extreme longevity in this parish. Mary Cooper, he tells us, had seen her descendants to the sixth generation; and what is more extraordinary, all of them alive at the same time, so that she could say to her daughter, "Rise, daughter; go to thy daughter, for thy daughter's daughter hath got a daughter." Bromley Hall is the seat of the Lane family. The parish contains, including King's Bromley Hays, which is sometimes deemed extra-parochial, 3370 acres, 570 inhabitants, 138 houses, and real property valued at £7381. The living is a perpetual curacy worth £210, of which the bishop of Lichfield is patron. The church is a fine old Gothic building, adorned with large and beautiful windows, and contains some monuments of the Agards and the Newtons. There is a school with £105 a year from endowment, and the other charities amount to £74.

Transcribed from Staffordshire and Warwickshire, Past and Present, 1884