BATTLE is a parish and village in the county of Brecknockshire, a short distance from the east bank of the river Yscir; and ½ mile north of Aberbran station, on the Neath and Brecon railway and 3 miles north-by-west from Brecon, in the Merthyr Cynog hundred, petty sessional division of Merthyr, county court district of Brecon and union of Brecknock, and in the rural deanery of Brecon (first part) and archdeaconry and diocese of St. Davids. The church of St. Cynog, built early in the 14th century to accommodate inhabitants who formerly possessed a chapel attached to the priory church of Brecon (itself an offshoot of the Great Abbey of Battle in Sussex) is a small Early English building, consisting of a chancel, nave, with one porch, and a tower containing one bell: the church was restored in 1880, at a cost of £1,000, and affords 120 sittings; the church plate includes a chalice dated 1576; the registers of baptisms and burials date from 1720; marriages, 1754. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £135, average £100; net income £116, in the gift of trustees, and held since 1864 by the Rev. John Lane Davies, of St. Ardan's, who is also vicar of and resides at Llanddew. Pen-oyre is the seat of Richard Digby Cleasby esq. D.L., J.P., the principal landowner. The area is 1591 acres of land and 9 of water; rateable value, £1,503; the population in 1891 was 126.
Letters are received from Brecon
A School Board of 5 members was formed 21st May, 1874, for the united district of Battle and Aberyscir (W. Williams, Llanfaes, clerk to the board). The children of this parish attend the school at Aberyscir
Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales, 1895