ABERYSCIR is a parish on the west bank of the Yscir (or Esker) close to its confluence with the Usk, 3 miles west, from Brecon and 1 mile west from Cradoc station on the Neath and Brecon railway, in the county of Brecknock, hundred of Merthyr Cynog, petty sessional division of Merthyr, county court district of Brecon, union of Brecknock and in the rural deanery of Brecon (first part), and archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's. The church of St. Mary (or St. Cynidr), which stands close to the confluence of the rivers Yscir and Usk, is a plain building with a tower containing a clock and, 2 bells: it was restored and vestry built in 1894, and has 114 sittings. The register dates from the year 1721. The living is a vicarage, yearly tithe rent-charge £150, average £114, net income £108, with one acre of glebe and residence (built in 1894), in the gift of Mrs. Ann Davies, and held since 1883 by the Rev, Lewis Morgan B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There is an Independent chapel at Boughroad. Aberyscir Court, built in 1837, is the seat of Rees Williamg esq. J.P. On the river bank opposite to the church are the remains of a Roman station called "The Gaer," or "Caer Bairnau," which is said to have furnished materials for building Brecon Castle. Mrs. Ann Davies is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are Rees Williams esq. J.P. and William D. Evans esq. The area of the parish comprises 1,945 acres, of which 16 are water; rateable value £1,545; the population in 1891 was 158.
Parish Clerk, Jonathan Thomas.
Letters come through Brecon
A School Board of 5 members was established 21 May, 1874; Wm. Williams, clerk to the board; Charles Hughes, attendance officer
Board School for Aberyscir and Battle, built in 1879 for 35 children; average attendance 29; Mrs. Mary J. Winter, mistress.
Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire and South Wales, 1895