UK Genealogy Archives logo

Llysfaen

Llysfaen, a parish and village in the county of Carnarvon, and a station on the Chester and Holyhead railway, is 4 miles west from Abergele and 8 east of Conway, in Isdulas hundred, Isdulas petty-sessional division, Conway union and registration district, sub-district of Creuddyn, county-court district of Conway, rural deanery of Rhos, diocese and archdeaconry of St. Asaph, situated on a hill 700 feet above the level of the sea. It was on this hill that King Egbert encamped after he invaded North Wales and the island of Anglesey, and a ring supposed to have belonged to his chief general was found here some time ago. In 1833 another ring and some old Roman and Saxon coins were found, which are now in the British Museum. The church is said to have been founded by St. Cynfran in the 6th century, who erected a small church, which was lengthened in the 7th or 8th century. In the 13th century the church was formed into what is called a Clwydian church, consisting of two aisles; it was restored about twenty-six years ago from plans of G. E. Street esq. the cost being defrayed by subscription. The principal features of the restoration are a beautiful oak screen copied from fragments of the old one, and the south door, which is a perfect antique Gothic consisting of only two stones, which were cleaned and redressed in the course of restoration. Above this arch is a head and face cut in freestone representing the face of a man with the tongue of an ox, and which is supposed to represent St. Cynfran, who was eminent for his kindness to animals, hence the tongue of an ox. The east window is filled with stained glass in memory of the late Rev. Edward Oldfield, who was for thirty years rector of this church; the window on the south side of the chancel is the gift of the Rev. Ellis Price, in memory of his mother and brother. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £290, net income £232, with residence and 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of St. Asaph, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Robert Jones of St. Bees. There are places of worship for Welsh Calvinists and Wesleyan Methodists.

The area comprises 1,879 acres, of which 2 are water; the population in 1891 was 1,700.

POST OFFICE.-Thomas Hughes, postmaster, Letters are delivered at 8 a.m.; despatched at 6.10 p.m. Nearest money order & telegraph office is at Llanddulas, 2 miles distant. Letters should be addressed, Llysfaen, Abergele R.S.O. Denbighshire

PLACES OF WORSHIP:-
Parish Church, St. Cynfran's, Llysfaen, Rev. Robert Jones, rector
Welsh Calvinist
Wesleyan Methodist

NATIONAL SCHOOL: Llysfaen, Hugh Hughes, master

Private Residents.
Hughes Matthew, Plas hall
Jones Rev. Robert, The Rectory

Commercial.
Evans Evan, Lodge inn
Evans Hugh, blacksmith
Hughes Hugh, Bodreoydd Arms
Hughes Thos. grocer, tailor & draper
Parry John, grocer &c
Roberts Edward, grocer &c
Roberts John, tailor
Roberts Mary (Mrs.), Castle inn

Farmers.
Davies Robert, Isallt
Davies Thomas, Cefn fran
Evans Edward, Plas
Evans Evan, Lodge inn
Evans Thomas, Pentrede
Foulkes Arthur, Bron felan
Foulkes William, Pentre gwyddel
Hughes John, Penmaen
Hughes John, Pen-y-cefn
Hughes Richard, Bryniacochion
Hughes Robert, Trawscoed
Jones David, Cefn-isa
Jones John Parry, Penygenffos
Jones Mrs. Jane, Tyddynlidr
Jones Richard, Hwylfuddaffoydd
Jones William, Pen-y-coed & Clobryn
Morris David, Ty mawr & Pilehouse
Owen David, Tychi
Roberts Mrs. Ann, Berthglydd
Roberts Mrs. Elizabeth, Parc
Smith Robert M. Tyn-y-coed

Transcribed from Slater's Directory of North & Mid Wales, 1895