DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo


Llanfaelog is a village and parish in the hundred of Llifon, county of Anglesey, 1 mile north-west of Ty Croes station on the Holyhead and Chester line, 3 miles north-west of Aberffraw and 9 south-east of Holyhead, in the registration district and union of Holyhead, sub-registration district of Bryngwran, Valley district of Anglesey second petty-sessional division, county-court district of Llangefni, rural deanery of Llifon, archdeaconry of Bangor and Anglesey and diocese of Bangor. The parish church, dedicated to St. Maelog, is situated in the village. The registers date from the year 1689. The living is a rectory annexed to Llanbeulan, average tithe rent-charge £460, net yearly value £298, with residence and 16 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Bangor, and held since 1864 by the Rev. Robert Williams M.A. of Jesus College, Oxford, surrogate, rural dean and honorary canon.

Bryn-Du and Pengarnisiog are small hamlets.

There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel at the former, and one for Wesleyans at the latter.

The area comprises 2, 235 acres, of which 7 5 are water; the population in 1891 was 718.

POST, MONEY ORDER OFFICE & SAVINGS BANK, Llanfaelog.-Edward Williams, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 6.45 a.m, & are despatched at 7 p.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Ty Croes. Letters should have Ty Croes R.S.O. Anglesey added

Assistant Overseer & Rate Collector, John Jones, Dyfriar

Parish Church, Rev. Canon Robert Williams M.A. rector; Rev. Stephen Evans

Calvinistic Methodist, Bryn-Du, Rev. Hugh Jones
Calvinistic Methodist, Rhosneigr
Wesleyan, Pengarnisiog

A School Board of 5 members was formed on the 19th April 1871; J. W. Huws, Llanfaelog, clerk

SCHOOL : John O. Jones, master

Private Residents.
Evans Rev. Stephen, curate
Hughes Rev. William (Calvinist), Gwyfa Rhosneigr
Jones Rev. Hugh (Calvinist), Gallty-grawn
Jones Rev. J. R. (Calvinist), Maelgwyn
Williams Hugh, Bodrwnsiwn
Williams Rev. Canon Robert M.A. Rectory

Cotterill T. C. Maelog Lake hotel
Hughes Hugh, Sheep inn P.H. Pengarnisiog
Hughes John, grocer, Tymain, Rhosneigr
Jones Ishmael, Queen's Head P.H. Bryndu
Jones Owen, boot maker, Bryndu
Jones Richard, boot maker, Bryndu
Jones Wm. blacksmith, Pengarnisiog
Lewis John & Son, millers, Maelgwyu
Lewis Thos. boot maker, Pengarnisiog
Lewis Thomas, butcher, Castell, Pengarnisiog
Owen Hugh, joiner, Brynyrefail, Bryn-du
Owen William, draper & grocer
Pierce John, boot maker
Williams H. & T. tailors, drapers & grocers, Bryndu & Pengarnisiog
Williams David, miller, Melin-y-bont
Williams Edward, grocer
Williams Elizabeth, grocer, Bryndu
Williams Hugh M.R.C.V.S. veterinary surgeon, Bodrwnsiwn
Williams John, grocer, Rhosneigr
Williams John, joiner, Tanyfonwent
Williams Mary, grocer & draper, Pengarnisiog
Williams Wm. blacksmith, Bryndu

Cotterill T. C. Caerllyn
Edwards Elizabeth, Bodrowydd
Griffith John, Brynmeini
Griffith Thomas, Shop farm
Griffiths Owen, Grug
Hughes John, Caecrin
Hughes Mrs. Neuadd
Hughes Thomas, Tynllan
Hughes Thomas, Tyddyncapten
Hughes William, Caegwyn
Hughes William, Penseri
Huws John, Brynteg
Jones Hughes, Tynypwll
Jones John, Dyfriar
Jones John, Meidraf
Jones Richard, Glan-y-gors
Jones Robert, Tynewydd
Jones William, Tan-y-bryn
Jones ,villiam, Ty Croes
Morris Owen, Tyn-y-Cerrig
Owen Owen, Tynymorfa
Owen Richard W Gareglwyd
Owen Thomas, Tyhen
Pritchard Richard, Cogwon
Prytherch John, Glanllyn
Roberts David, Pentratreath
Roberts David, Tyddyngwair
Roberts Hugh, Rhosybedda
Rowlands John, Penybryn
Thomas William, Penrhosedd
Williams Hugh, Glan-y-gors
Williams Mary, Bodrwnsiwn
Williams Richard, Plas Maelog
Williams Robert, Tyddyn-harri
Williams Rowland, Glanyllynbach
Williams William, Caernant

Transcribed from Slater's Directory of North & Mid Wales, 1895