UK Genealogy Archives logo

Rhiw and Llanfaelrhys

Rhiw and Llanfaelrhys (were formed into one civil parish by Local Government Board order, which came into operation in 1888) in the hundred of Commitmaen, county of Carnarvon, 12 miles south-west of Pwllheli, 3 north-east by east of Aberdaron, in Aberdaron sub-registration district, union of Pwllheli, petty sessional division and county court district of Pwllheli, rural deanery of Lleyn, archdeaconry of Merioneth and diocese of Bangor. The village of Rhiw, situated a little distance inland from the shore of Porthnuill bay, is at the foot of a hill 1,113 feet in height, from the summit of which extensive views may be obtained. Porthnuill bay is known as "Hell's Mouth," it being almost impossible for ships to beat out when the wind is from the south-west. The parish church of Rhiw is dedicated to St. Aelrhiw, and the registers date from the year 1793. The living is a rectory united with Llandudwen, average tithe rent charge £75, net yearly income £70 and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Bangor, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Owen Davies. Llanfaelrhys church, dedicated to St. Maelrys, is situated on the west side of the road to Aberdaron, and has sittings for 150. The registers are included in those of Aberdaron. The living of Llanfaelrhys is a vicarage annexed to Aberdaron, average tithe rent-charge £69, gross income £143 and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Bangor, and held since 1890 by the Rev. Henry Lloyd of St. Bees. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists, Independents and Baptists.

The area comprises 3,240 acres, of which l acre is water; the population in 1891 was 490.

Letters through Pwllheli. The nearest post office is at Aberdaron; money order & telegraph office, Sarn Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Humphrey Hughes

PLACES OF WORSHIP :-
St. Aelrhiw's, Rhiw, Rev. Owen Davies, rector
St. Maelrys, Llanfaelrhys, Rev. Henry Lloyd, vicar

CHAPELS:-
Baptist, Galltraeth, Rev. C. Roberts
Calvinistic Methodists, Tanyfoel
Independent Pennebo
Wesleyan Methodists, Pisgah

The parish is included in Aberdaron School Board district

SCHOOL: Rhiw, Lewis Lewis, master

RHIW & LLANFAELRHYS.

Private Resident.
Davies Rev. Owen, Rectory

Commercial.
Evans Thomas, boot maker, Tan-y-fynwent, Rhiw
Griffiths Eliza. prvsn. dealer, Rhiw
Griffiths William, carpenter, Rhiw
Jones Thos. provision dealer, Rhiw
Williams Mary, Penponcyn P.H. Rhiw

Farmers.
Evans Griffith, Paenarfynydd
Griffith W. & G. Meillionydd bach
Griffith David, Llawenan uchaf
Jones Evan, Crygr bach
Jones Evan, Nant
Jones Griffith, Tynyfron
Jones Mary, Tygroes mawr
Jones Richard, Llawenan isaf
Owen Rachael, Plasnewydd
Owen William, Meillionydd
Rice Thomas, Ysgaw
Roberts Ellen, Caenewydd
Roberts John, Tynllidiart

RHIW.
Farmers.
Griffith Robert, Pwllmelyn
Griffith William, Meillionydd bach
Jones John Abraham, Tynymynydd
Jones William, Tynrhos
Owen Rachel, Meillionydd
Parry Richard, Bodwyddog
Thomas Robert, Tycanol
Williams Hugh, Treheilir
Williams John, Tymawr
Williams John, Tynyparc
Williams Owen, Tanygraig
Williams Thomas, Tycanolrhos

Transcribed from Slater's Directory of North & Mid Wales, 1895