UK Genealogy Archives logo

Penllech

Penllech is a parish in the hundreds of Commitmaen and Dinlaen, county of Carnarvon, 12 miles west from Pwllheli and 7 south-west of Nevin, in Aberdaron sub-registration district, union of Pwllheli, petty sessional division and county court district of Pwllheli, rural deanery of Lleyn, archdeaconry of Merioneth and diocese of Bangor. The parish is purely agricultural, situated on the north-west coast of the peninsula of Lleyn. St. Mary's church is on the road from Llangwnadle to Nevin. The registers of baptisms and burials date from 1777; marriages, 1787. The living is a vicarage annexed to Llangwnadle, average tithe rent-charge £140, net yearly income £110 and residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Bangor and Rev. G. A. Salusbury, and held since 1888 by the Rev. Thomas Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, There is a chapel for Calvinistic Methodists.

The area comprises 2,182 acres; the population in 1891 was 252.

The nearest post office is at Tydweiliog, 1½ miles distant; money order & telegraph office, Sarn, 3 miles distant

PLACES OF WORSHIP :-
St. Mary's Church, Rev. Thomas Jones B.A. vicar

Calvinistic Methodist Chapel

Farmers.
Evans Hugh, Tyhir
Griffith Anne, Penrallt
Griffith Hugh, Penllech bach
Griffiths John, Tyddynfelin
Jones Humphrey, Penybryn
Owen Griffith, Plasynmhenllech
Owen Owen, Conglcae
Owen Thomas, Bryngeinach
Roberts Edward, Tymawr
Williams Daniel, Penllech uchaf
Williams Griffith, Cefntryddyn
Williams Griffith, Gwndy
Williams Mary, Berthaur
Williams Richard, Tyddynsander
Williams Rowland, Tyddyn isaf
Williams Thomas, Brynyffynon
Williams William, Tyddynmawr

Transcribed from Slater's Directory of North & Mid Wales, 1895