UK Genealogy Archives logo


Bryncroes is a parish in the hundred of Commitmaen, county of Carnarvon, 11 miles west-south-west from Pwllheli and 9 south-west of Nevin, in the sub-registration district of Aberdaron, union of Pwllheli, petty sessional division and county court district of Pwllheli, rural deanery of Lleyn, archdeaconry of Merioneth and diocese of Bangor, situated on the road from Nevin to Aberdaron. The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary, and provides sittings for 125. The registers date from 1730. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £138, net yearly income £101, in the gift of Lieut.-Colonel C. A. Wynne-Finch, and held since 1869 by the Rev. David Owen of St. Bees. There are chapels for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. Gelliwig hall is the residence of Colonel McGregor.

The area comprises 3, 717 acres, of which 1 acre is water; the population in 1891 was 796.

Letters through Pwllheli. The nearest post, money order & telegraph office is at Sarn, 1 mile distant

Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages, Humphrey Hughes

St. Mary's Church, Rev. David Owen, vicar

Baptists, Rev. Charles Roberts
Calvinistic Methodists

The parish is included in Aberdaron School Board district

SCHOOL: John Evans, master

Private Residents.
McGregor Colonel, Gelliwig hall
Owen Rev. David

Hughes Robert, grocer & draper
Roberts Griffith, blacksmith

Griffith Laura, Tymawr
Griffith Owen, Penllech
Griffith Richard, Bodguau
Hughes John, Bronllwyd bach
Hughes Richard, Murmawr
Hughes William, Graigfael
Jones Griffith, Llelyrwyn
Jones Richard G. Vaertre
Lewis John, Cochymoel
Morris Mrs. Monachdy
Owen Owen, Pengraig bach
Owen William, Felinganol
Roberts Hugh, Murian
Roberts Lewis, Brynnynog bach
Roberts Robert, Tyruttan
Roberts William, Tyfair
Rowlands Sarah, Bronllwydfawr
Watkins Owen, Trygarn
Williams Evan, Tyengan
Williams John, Tynypark
Williams Mrs. Bodgauar
Williams Robert, Gelliwig
Williams Robert, Tyddyngorn
Williams Thomas, Penllech
Williams William, Penygoppa

Transcribed from Slater's Directory of North & Mid Wales, 1895