UK Genealogy Archives logo

Milborne Port

MILBORNE PORT, a small town, also a parish in the huudred of Charlton Horethorne, county of Somerset, 3 miles N.E. by E. from Sherborne, 13 N.W. from Shaftesbury, 8 S. from Wincanton and 115 S.W. from London; delightfully situated on gently rising ground, at the base of a fruitful valley watered by the meandering Yeo or Ivel, and encompassed on all sides by swelling hills cultivated to their summits, or exhibiting here and there a profusion of umbrageous trees.

Milborne Port consists of several streets generally well paved, the two principal ones intersecting each other about the centre of the town; several of the buildings claim attention for their antiquity; the dwelling houses are mostly well built, and several of them are modern erections. Within the last 5 years many improvements have been effected: in particular, pleasant walks have been laid out, and a spacious 'Fives or Ball Court,' has been constructed for the gratuitous use of the inhabitants, by Sir William Medlycott, Bart.; this gentleman, who is lord of the manor, resides at 'Ven House,' a noble modern mansion hard by the town. The principal public buildings are the parish church and the Guildhall; the former is an ancient edifice having at the west end a stately square tower; the Guildhall is likewise a structure of the 'olden time,' and the doorway exhibits a beautiful specimen of Saxon or Norman masonry, which is in excellent preservation. Nearly opposite the Guildhall is 'the Cross,' a circular flight of three stone steps; from this elevation members returned to parliament by this borough (as it formerly was) were wont to address the 'free and independent electors,' a privilege this town possessed as early as the time of Edward I. but disfranchised by the 'Reform Act.' At one period the making of dowlais, tickings, &c. employed many persons here; these branches are now extinct, and at the present time a good deal of 'gloving' is carried on, which manufacture is in a flourishing condition; the sort mostly fabricated are termed 'kid gloves,' and such is the perfection to which they are brought, that the masters it is said fear no rivalry.

Besides the parish church are chapels for Wesleyans and Independents, and schools for the rising generation upon the British and National systems. At one period a market was held here, but it has fallen into disuetude; fairs for cattle, pedlary and pleasure are however holden on June 5th and October 28th. In 1841, the parish contained 1740 persons. Post Office at Maria King's. Letters arrive from all parts at 8 a.m. and are despatched via Sherborne, at 5 p.m. Box closes at 4 30, but letters may be posted up to the despatch by affixing an extra 1d. stamp to each.

Airs Mrs.
Brewster Rev. Henry, (Independent minister)
Elliott Capt. E. H. R.N. Little Ven
Game James, esq.
Genge Mrs.
Gillingham Mr. John
Highmore Miss
Hodgens Rev. Thomas, (curate)
Longman Mrs. Ann
Medlycott Sir Wm. Coles, Bart. Ven house
Perkins Rev. Ephraim Hy. (Independent minister)
Pitman Misses
Thomas Mrs.
West Miss
West Rev. Edward Walter, Vicarage

Abbott Jas. grocery, &c. dealer
Abbott John, grocer, &c.
Ames Wm. beer retailer
Arnold J as. boot & shoemaker
Baker Joseph, plumber, painter & glazier, grocer, & news agent
Baunton John, butcher
Best William Hyde, surgeon
British School, master, Brewster, Rev. Henry
Brown John, jun. sail cloth maker
Charlton Joseph, 'Queen"s Head Inn'
Chislett John, baker Weighbridge
Collins John, basket maker
Coombs, George, miller
Coombs Robert, saddler
Coombs William, baker, &c.
Dover James, tailor
Dover Jane, straw hat maker
Dover Wm. Jas. hair cutter
Dungey Thos. baker & beer retailer
Dyke George, tailor
Dyke Jas. butcher and farmer
Dyke Silas, glove maker
Ensor Thos. glove manufr.
Foot Henry, miller
Fudge Wm. mason & beer retailer
French Ann, grocery, &c. dealer
Game John, farmer
Game Samuel, linen draper and registrar of marriages
Gaskin John, leather dresser
Hambridge Mary Ann, dress mkr.
Harris Samuel, farmer
Hatcher George, beer retailer
Hawkins Robert, farmer
Hill Maria, milliner & dress maker
Hine James, blacksmith
Hobbs Samuel, tailor
Hobbs William, tailor
Hyde Charles, wheelwright
Hyde Gideon, plasterer, &c.
Hyde John, parish clerk
Hyde Joseph, plasterer, &c.
Infant School, Hill Carol, mistress
Jennings Sarah, 'King's Head
Kellaway Miss, ladies' school
Longman Silvanus, farmer and maltster
Maidment Jas. boot, &c. maker
March Charlotte, grocer, &c.
National School, master, Savage Henry; mistress, Bennett, Frances H.
Northover William, butcher
Parsons John, cowkeeper
Parsons John, boot, &c. maker
Pitman Edith, dress maker
Pitman John, glove manufacturer
Pitman Joseph, paste board box manufacturer and agent to the General F. & L. Assurance Company
Pitman Robert, blacksmith
Pitman Thomas, grocer, &c.
Pitman William, carpenter
Pitman Wm. jun. carpenter
Ryall Chas. and John, fellmongers and wool staplers, Kingsbury
Sealey Richard, farmer
Shaw Mrs. farmer
Sherring John, farmer
Shephard Jas. brush, &c. maker
Stephens Charlotte, tea agent
Thring Jas. grocer and draper
Winter John, blacksmith
Woolmington John, farmer

COACH TO:
LONDON & SALISBURY, Telegraph, at 8 30 a.m. returning at 6 30 p.m. to Sherborne and Yeovil

CARRIERS TO:
LONDON & ALL PARTS, Crocker's Vans; also, Fords pass through daily
SHERBORNE & YEOVIL, Parks, mon. wed. frid. & sat. Winter, wed. frid, & sat.

Transcribed from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851