UK Genealogy Archives logo

Compton Valence

COMPTON VALENCE, or East Compton, a village 3 miles S. of Maiden Newton, and 8 N.W. from Dorchester. The church, St. Thomas-a-Becket, is (excepting the tower) a new erection buiit of stone and has lancet-headed windows. Living a rectory, patron Robert Williams, esq. The parish comprises 1330 acres, and had in 1841, a population of 116.

Babbington Rev. Arthur, B A. (curate)
Davis Mr. Henry
Ward Rev. Wm. H. Percival, M.A.
Dunford Richard, dairyman
Meech George, tailor
Meech James, parish clerk

Transcribed from Hunt & Co.'s Directory of Dorsetshire, Hampshire, & Wiltshire 1851