UK Genealogy Archives logo

Eaton Socon

EATON SOCON is an extensive parish, on the borders of Huntingdonshire, and the Great North road which passes through the village; the navigable river Ouse, flowing on the east, divides this parish from St. Neots, and is crossed at Eaton Ford by a stone bridge of three arches, built in 1589 from the ruins of the Priory of St. Neots, and connecting this county with Huntingdonshire. The parish is in the Northern division of the county, Bedford petty sessional division, hundred of Barford, union and county court district of St. Neots, rural deanery of Eaton, Bedford archdeaconry and St. Albans diocese; the village is 2½ miles west from St. Neots station on the main line of the Great Northern railway, 11 north-east from Bedford, 10 south-west from Huntingdon and 55 from London by road, Part of the parish has been lighted since 1893 by oil lamps, the expense being defrayed by subscriptions.
Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire, and Northamptonshire, 1914