WING is a parish and pleasant village, three-quarters of a mile from Manton station on the Syston and Peterborough and Nottingham and Kettering branches of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, and 3¼ north-east-by-north from Uppingham, in the hundred of Martinsley, union of Uppingham, rural deanery of Rutland (third portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The parish is bounded on the north by the river Chater. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone, originally Norman, but rebuilt in 1335, and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, restored in 1903 and containing 5 bells: there is a memorial window to the Rev. O. R. Wintle, erected by his sister and brothers, and others, placed in 1889 by members of the family of the Rev. C. Boys, rector (1839-98), and the parishioners to commemorate the 50th year of his incumbency: there is also a window to the memory of Mrs. Wintle, erected by G. Worrall eaq. and the members of her family: there is an early octangular font, and in the chancel is a brass to Capt. Charles Worsley Boys R.N. who died at sea and was buried at Nova Scotia in 1809: the chancel was entirely rebuilt and enlarged in 1875, at a cost of £700, when the ancient altar stone was replaced on a substantial wooden frame: in 1885 the church was new-roofed and a south aisle added, portions of the old church being used in the reconstruction, the gallery at the west end removed, and a north porch erected to the memory of Caroline Goodrich Boys, at a cost of about £700: a new organ was provided in 1908, at a cost of £250: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1625. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £340, including 183 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since 1916 by the Rev. Frederick John Winder Taverner M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford, and rural dean of Rutland (III), who is also rector of Pilton. The rectory house was mostly rebuilt in 1841, at a cost of £800. There is a small Wesleyan chapel here. Near the village is an ancient turf maze, which the inhabitants visit at the feast time. The Grange, a mansion of red brick, is the seat of Miss Brocklebank O.B.E., J.P. The Manor, anciently called " Wenge," was long held by the Montfort family : the Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. is now the lord. Edward Worrall esq. J.P. and W. H. Neill esq. J.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is red loam; subsoil, clay and kaley stone. The chief crops are wheat and turnips, but the land is mostly in pasture. The area is 1,116 acres; the population in 1921 was 275.
Sexton, Harry Goodman.
Post, M.O.& T.& T.E.D. Office. Letters through Oakham
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Brocklebank Miss A. S. O.B.E., J.P. The Grange
Harkness Henry, Westcot
Hickling Arthur William, The Old hall
Neill William Henry, J.P. The Cottage
Nutt Farrington, Westfleld
Routh Charles Frederic M.D. Wing house
Taverner Rev. Frederick John Winder M.A. [rector & rural dean of Rutland], Rectory
Tyler Thomas
Worrall Edward J.P. The Hall Worrall
Philip, The Hall
COMMERCIAL.
Carter George, painter
Dexter Harold, fruitr
Emblow Leonard, farmer, Westhorpe
Goodman Annie (Mrs.), grocer
Goodman Harry, carpenter
Harkness Henry, poultry farmer
Hinch Arthur & Emma (Miss), farmers
Hubbard Fredk. Cuckoo P.H
Hubbard W. Needham, bldr
Lake John, butcher
Presgrave Charles, stationer, & post office
Presgrave Herbert Palmer, beer retailer
Pridmore Augustine, farmer
Shelton John Lee, farmer, Wingwell
Smith Herbert William, Railway & Crownwell Bridge inn
Tyler John Hy. & Son, farmers, Home frm
Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928