Whissendine
WHISSENDINE (or Wichingedine) is a large parish and scattered village, in a hilly district, on the borders of Leicestershire, 1½ miles south from Whissendine station on the Syston and Peterborough and Nottingham and Kettering branches of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 5 north-west from Oakham, 6 east from Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, and 98 from London, in the hundred of Alstoe, union and county court district of Oakham, rural deanery of Rutland (first portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. Two streams rising in the parish, unitedly form the Whissendine brook. The church of St. Andrew, situated on an acclivity, is a building of stone, in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, transepts, south porch and a Decorated western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock, added in 1911, and 6 bells, re-hung in 1919 by Lt.-Col. Rt. Hon. J. Gretton C.B.E., V.D., M.P., J.P. ; one of these was hung by subscription in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, to whose memory a handsomely carved font cover of oak was also provided: at the south transept is an ancient carved oak screen removed from the old chapel of St. John's College, Cambridge: the screen in the north aisle was erected to the memory of Mrs. Chaplin by her children and there is a brass tablet to Mrs. Emily Chaplin, erected by the parishioners: a new organ, the gift of Frank Chaplin esq. was installed in 1928: the carved stone pulpit was given in 1888 by Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Chaplin in memory of Edward Chaplin and George Vere Boyle; and the choir stalls of carved oak were presented by the same donors in 1899, as a memorial to their son, Charles Chaplin: in 1904 carved oak panels were added to the choir stalls: in 1912 a stained glass east window, an oak reredos and oak panelling round the chancel were presented by Mrs. Chaplin, in memory of her husband, Cecil Chaplin esq. and of her son Frederick Chaplin esq.: the church was restored about 1870, under the direction of Sir George G. Scott and J. Goddard esq. at a cost of about £2,300: there are 240 sittings: in 1920 the masonry of the whole church was repaired and repointed, the cost being defrayed by Lt.-Col. Rt. Hon. John Gretton C.B.E., V.D., M.P., J.P. The register dates from the year 1577. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value, augumented by Foster's charity, £270, with residence, in the gift of Lt.-Col. Rt. Hon. J. Gretton C.B.E., V.D., M.P., J.P. and held since 1906 by the Rev. Edwin Thomas Glasspool M.A., B.SC. of London University. Then are Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapels. The poor's land of 16a. 2r. at Clawson produces £33 yearly, and a charity left by the Rev. Thomas Hurst, a former vicar, produces £1 5s. yearly. In 1910 Henry Jackson left £200 to the vicar and church wardens to be invested, the proceeds to be distributed in gifts of coal among the poor of the village. The Manor House, a fine old mansion, formerly the residence of the Harborough family, stands near the church, and is now occupied as a farm-house. There are several small landowners. The soil is heavy, strong land; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, roots, and pasture land. The area is 3,959 acres; the population in 1921 was 566.
Parish Clerk, William Moss.
Post, M.O., T. & T. E. D. Office. Letters through Oakham
Railway Station (L. M. & S)
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N's see general list of PrivateResidents at end of book.)
Alexander Major Frank D.The Red house
Bouverie Mrs. Whissendine house
Chaplin Frank
Chaplin Vere
Glasspool Rev. Edwin Thomas M.A., B.SC. [vicar], Vicarage
Hardy Miss
Home Benjamin, Harborough cottage
Home Misses, Vicarage cottage
Manton Joseph Holmes, Manor house
Muntz Charles Alexander, Whissenthorpe
Newby Mrs
Thorpe John Thomas, The Poplars
Thorpe Mrs. George Stafford
COMMERCIAL.
Brisley George, builder
Brown Rowland, grazier
Bullen George Edward, grazier
Bursnall Elizabeth (Mrs.), beer retailer
Carter Albt. grazier
Dexter Alfd. motor engnr
Dobney Bayfield, farmer
Dobney John Robert, carpenter
Dobney Robert, grazier
Dyer Arthur, White Lion P.H
Foster Herbert Albert, baker
Frisby Arth. farmer, Whissendine lodge
Frisby Saml. C. farmer, Browne's lodge
Gibson Matthew, grazier
Gill Gerald, cycle repr
Grocock John, draper
Hayes Jn.baker
Hayes William, jun. wheelwright
Holloway Geo. F. grazier. T N 8
Hunt Arthur, grazier
Manton Jsph. Holmes, farmer,Manor frm
Moss William, parish clerk
Norman George (Mrs.), dress maker
Parker Geo. Fredk. Staveley M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P.Lond. physcn. & surgn. (attends tues. & fri. 10.30 to 11 a.m)
Rodgers Samuel, coal dealer
Rose Chas. grazier
Sampey William Henry, grazier
Sleigh William, grazier
Stafford Annie (Miss), teacher of music
Stafford John, farmer
Swindale William, head gardener toMrs. Bouverie
Thompson Charles, insurance agent
Thompson Lucy A. (Mrs.), butcher
Thompson William, grazier
Watchorn Roy, farmer
Watts Harry, farmer. TN4
White Adeline (Miss),farmer, Park house
White Arthur, baker
Wigginton George, blacksmith
Wigginton William Jesse, grazier
Wilson Ernest, grocer
Wright Harry, stud groom to Major F. D. Alexander
Wright William S. farmer
