DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tinwell

TINWELL is a village and parish, on the north bank of the river Welland, on the Uppingham road and near the borders of Northamptonshire, about 2 miles west from Stamford stations on the London and North Eastern and London, Midland and Scottish railways, in the hundred of East, union and county court district of Stamford, rural deanery of Rutland (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of All Saints is a building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch and a small western tower containing 4 bells, one of which is dated 1639, the others 1674 and 1620; the tenor and second bells were recast and the whole rehung in an iron frame, with a set of chimes added, in 1883: in the chancel is a monument to Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Cecil esq. and sister of William, 1st Lord Burleigh, and another to the Rev. Richard Arthur Knowles, a former rector, d. 1796; and there are memorial windows to Mrs. Elizabeth Torkington, d. 1848; Mrs. Sarah Basket, d. 1843; Nelson Henry Arnold, Lieut. Madras Fusiliers, who died at Lucknow in 1857; and John Noble Clough esq d. 1856: a new font was erected in 1894 in memory of Emma, wife of former rector, and a new organ in 1900, at a cost of £75 the church was repaired in 1849, at a cost of nearly £600 and affords 150 sittings. The registers date from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £380, including 10 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. and held since 1920 by the Rev. James Hugh Bellhouse M.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. The Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. is lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is various; subsoil, chiefly limestone. but varies in many parts. The chief crops are wheat, barley turnips and pasture. The area is 1,699 acres of land and 1 of water; the population in 1921 was 223.

Ingthorpe is a hamlet of Tinwell, about 2 miles north west, on the south bank of the river Gwash.

Letters through Stamford, which is the nearest M.O. & T.office
Carriers to Stamford.- Hough, passes through fri. from Ketton ; Bates, from Barrowden, mon. & fri

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
(For T N's see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)
Bellhouse Rev. Jas. Hugh M.A. [rector]) Rectory
Daniels George, The Grange
Dickenson Robert, The Rookery
Hamilton Lt.-Col. Francis Alexander Chetwood M. C. Tinwell house
Jackson Mrs. S. B. Goddard, Manor house,
Neild Ralph, The Limes
Price Thomas L. Palo Alto

COMMERCIAL.

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
°Aldwinckle Bartholomew, farmer.South view
°Allen Needham & Sons, farmers, Tinwell lodge
Bellamy Arthur William, Crown inn
Bradshaw Rt. Clayton, farmer. T N Stamford 45Y3
Bryan Fanny Eliza (Mrs.) C.M.B. midwife, Toll Bar cottage
Dolby Wm. grocer
°Harris Frank Wm. farmer, Ingthorpe
°Healey Robert, farmer, Glebe farm
Hickling Reginald, baker
Sharpe H. B. farmer
Story Frank, farmer, The Gables
Wilson Anna (Mrs.), confctnr

Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928

Advertisement

Advertisement