DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo


RYHALL is a parish and village, on either bank of the river Gwash or Wash, with a station (locally in Belmesthorpe) on the Stamford and Essendine branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 3 miles north-by-east from Stamford, 11 east-by-south from Oakham and about 93 from London, in the hundred of East, union and county court district of Stamford, rural deanery of Rutland (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of St. John the Evangelist is a building of stone in the Early English period, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with broach spire, containing a clock and 5 bells: there is a small stained window at the west end, the gift of Mr. John Lowe and another in the south aisle, presented by Miss Gann in 1902, in memory of her parents ; in the chancel is a monument to Thomas Harrison D.D. rector of Casterton Magna and Market Overton, and sometime vicar of this parish, d. August, 1782, and memorials to Michael Pierrepont, Lieut.-Col. commandant of the Rutland Regiment of Militia, d. 24 April, 1834, and to the Rev. Martin Amphlett M.A. 26 years vicar of this parish, dated 1834; and Peggy his relict, d. April, 1834: the church was restored in 1857, and affords 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1674. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the chapelry of Essendine annexed, joint net yearly value £320 including 271 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. and held since 1917 by the Rev. Julius Brockman White A.K.C.L. There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1878. The Working Men's Club, a building of corrugated iron, was opened in November, 1903, by the Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. The poor have the dividends of £500 £2½ per cent. Consols, left by Colonel Pierrepont, in coals, and the rent of £18 on 16 acres of land, in coal in lieu of cutting furze. Charles Gann left the proceeds of £200 India 3 per Cents, for beautifying the Church. The Old Manor House is now called the " Green Dragon " inn and has very extensive cellars. The Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. is lord of the manor and owner of about 1,040 acres, of which 273 were allotted to him at the Inclosure of 1800. Mrs. Pugh and others have also land here. The soil is light and thin; subsoil, rock. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans, roots, and some land is in pasture. The area is 2,671 acres of land and 10 of water; the population in 1921 was 666 including Belmesthorpe.

BELMESTHORPE (or Belminsthorpe), on the east bank of the river Gwash or Wash, 2 miles north-north-east from Stamford, is a hamlet in the parish and half a mile south-east of Ryhall. The manor belongs to the Marquess of Exeter C.M.G

Parish Clerk, Richard Fenn.
Post & M.O. Office. Letters arrive from Stamford which is the nearest T. office Ryhall
Railway Station, Belmesthorpe (L. & N. E)
Police Station


Cullen Herbert Edward, The Glen
Cunnington Harry, Mill house
Downs Alfred, The Cedars
Ennals William Selby, The Firs
Lowe Mrs. The Cottage
Pugh Mrs. Ryhall hall
Tarlton Harry, The Rosary
White Rev. Julius Brockman A.K.C.L. [vicar], Vicarage


Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
°Bell T. Callis, farmer, Ryall heath
°Broughton Rt. Jn. farmer. Mill farm
Dearmer Horace, Millstone P.H
Downs Alfd. E.traction engine proprietor
Fenn Wm. Valentine, grocer
Harvey Arthur Raymond, baker
Ivett Walter, farmer. The Poplars
Jackson James A. wheelwright
Makings Robert, cowkeeper
Mann Wm. H. beer retlr. Crown inn
Naylor Allan, shopkeeper
Newbon Wm. boot & shoe repr
Nicholls Arth. baker & Wheat Sheaf inn
°Older Regnld. S. farmer
Pridmore John Herbert, grocer
Rowlatt Ethel Margt. (Mrs.), farmer, Rygall grange
°Smith Wm. farmer. New Road farm
°Smith Wm. Thos. farmer. Church farm
Webster George, butcher Wissen Herbt. Victor, beer retlr. Tally Ho inn
Woolley Edwd. Arth. butcher
Woolley Tom Harry, Green Dragon inn
Working Men's Club
Wyers George, blacksmith


Dolby Cecil


Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over
°Briggs Bassett Rowell, farmer
°Flint Owen, farmer, Belmesthorpe ho
Munton Eliz. (Mrs.), beer retlr. Blue Bell inn
Ridge Edwd. farmer

Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928