DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.
UK Genealogy Archives logo

Pickworth

PICKWORTH is a parish and village on the borders of Lincolnshire, 4 miles north-west from Essendine station and 3½ south-west from Little Bytham station, both on the Great Northern section of the London and North Eastern railway, 5½ north-north-west from Stamford and 10½ east-north-east from Oakham, in East hundred, Stamford union and county court district, rural deanery of Rutland (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The ancient church of All Saints, formerly existing here, has disappeared: both the church and the village, which stood near it, are supposed to have been destroyed by the rebels after the battle of Stamford at Hornfield, in the parish of Exton, in 1470: most of the steeple was taken down in 1728 and 1731, and the materials employed in building bridges at Wakerly and Great or Bridge Casterton : there are, however, remains of a porch belonging to the old church, which stood about 5 yards from the present church, erected in 1821, by the Rev. Richard Lucas M.A. a former rector: it is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret, containing one bell : in the chancel is a tablet to Joseph Armitage esq. of The Lodge, near Wakefield, Yorkshire, d. 1 Dec. 1820, erected by the Rev. R. Lucas, of Casterton Magna: there are 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a rectory, consolidated in 1734 with that of Great Casterton, joint net yearly value £360, with residence and including 65 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. and held since 1926 by the Rev. Cecil F. Norgate. There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1870, In excavating here, the house-floors and fire-places of the old village have sometimes been found. The Marquess of Exeter C.M.G. is lord of the manor and owner of most of the land, which is generally of an indifferent quality. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The area is 2,486 acres ; the population in 1921 was 116.

Parish Clerk, Arthur Mumford. Letters arrive through Stamford. The nearest M.O. office is at Ryhall & T. office at Great Casterton

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
°Creasey & Johnson, farmers, The Limes
°Gilman Frank Herbert, farmer, The Grange
°Healey & Lambert, farmers, The Lodge
Taylor Jawes Wickham, farmer, The Poplars
°Whitcher Algernon James, farmer, Manor farm
Wilkinson Henry, Blue Bell inn

Transcribed from Kelly's Directory of Leicestershire and Rutland, 1928

Advertisement

Advertisement