North Luffenham
NORTH LUFFENHAM is a parish and pleasant village on the north bank of the river Chater, half a mile north from Luffenham station on the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 6½ miles south-west from Stamford and 95½ from London, in the Wrangdike hundred, union of Uppingham, rural deanery of Rutland (second portion), archdeaconry of Oakham and diocese of Peterborough. The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, chiefly in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a western tower with broach spire, containing 6 bells, one of which is of mediaeval date and the others are dated respectively 1630, 1618, 1701, 1742 ane 1619, but this last is cracked: the chancel, of fine proportions, retains Decorated sedilia and a piscina and two low-side windows: the font is plain but good: the pulpit is Jacobean: the east window, the tracery of which has been renewed, was filled with glass by Mr. C. E. Kempe, and one of the windows on the north side of the chancel contains some fine very old glass, circ. 1350: there are monuments to the Digby family, erected in 1582 and 1758, and to the Noel family, 1640: in the chancel at the back of the sedilia is a brass to Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester, founder in 1584 of the Oakham and Uppingham Grammar schools, and formerly rector of this parish: he died in 1625: the church was restored under the direction of J. E. Street esq. R.A. and affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1565. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £670, arising from tithe rent-charge and 39 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and held since 1923 by the Rev. Richard Henry Fuller M.A. and formerly scholar of that college. There is a Wesleyan chapel here. There are charities of £52 2s. 4d. yearly value, of which £13 is given to children for regular attendance at school, £13 to church purposes, and the remainder is distributed in coals and clothing. The Earl of Ancaster T.D. is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. Ironstone is found here. The soil is clayey in parts and sandy and stony in parts; subsoil, chiefly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The parish comprises 2,034 acres ; the population in 1921 was 441.
Parish Clerk and Sexton, William Chamberlain.
Chairman of Parish Council, Rev. Richard Henry Fuller M.A.
Post, M.O., T. & T. E. D. Office. Letters through Stamford
PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Fenwick Ernest Guy O.B.E.,J.P. The Hall
Fuller Rev. Richard Henry M.A. [rector], Rectory
Howell Robert, Hartington house
Knight Thomas, Heath house
Newman Lt.-Col. Ernest Alan Robert C.I.E., M.D. Ramna
Rose Richard
COMMERCIAL.
Clamp George O. farmer
Codd Abraham, poulterer
Day Arthur, blacksmith
Dickens & Son, carpntrs
Gale Willie, grocer
Gandy Henry, Horse & Panniers P.H
Gilbert Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Gordon William, Fox & Hounds P.H
Gordon William, jun. carpenter
Green William, farm bailiff to E. G. Fenwick esq. O.B.E., J.P.
Hart Charles, farmer
Howell Rt. draper
Luffenham Iron Coy. Ltd.(W. A. Stanley, manager)
Price Frederick, carter
Robinson Bros. farmers
Rose Robert & Alexander John, english timber merchants, hurdle makers & farmers
Sewell William, farmer, Manor farm
Springthorpe John James, grazier
Stanger Wm. farmer. T N 9
Wood James, butcher
Wright Thos. saddler (tues. only)
